Greeting to the OOME participants from prof. Rudolf Šrámek
The 2nd Ostrava Onomastic Meeting EVENT on Place Names as a Mirror of Political Developments in Modern European Society 1848–2018
The Department of Czech Language at the Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava, the Historical Geography Research Centre, Prague, the Institute of the Czech Language at the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague,
the conference committee, and the local organizing committee have the honor of inviting you to take part in the 2nd Ostrava Onomastic Meeting Event (2. ostravské onomastické setkání; OOME), which will be held in Ostrava, Czech Republic, from April 23 to April 24, 2018. The first OOME conference was held in October 2015, and the book Toponyma – kulturní dědictví a paměť míst (Toponymy – Cultural Heritage and Place Memory, ed. Jaroslav David; abstracts available here) was published in September 2016. The first OOME conference in Ostrava focused on place names as a part of cultural heritage and local history, and the success of this event inspired us to organize the second OOME conference, which will be held in 2018.
The conference will take place in Ostrava, a city situated at the crossroads of three countries – Czechia, Slovakia, and Poland. It will focus on place names against the background of political developments in modern European (predominantly Central European) society in the 1848–2018 period.
- Place names and the concepts of the political/linguistic/religious (etc.) landscape
- Toponymy on state/national/language borders
- Politics as a background of the development of place names
- Place names in the discourse of the period – their reflection in fiction and art, their thematization, the influence of ideology, interpretation, new methods and approaches to place name research
- Commemorative motives in place names – theoretical problems and discussions
Conference Committee (Academic Board)
- Jaroslav David, Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava (Chair)
- Michaela Boháčová, Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University, Brno
- Jaromír Krško, Faculty of Arts, Matej Bel University, Banská Bystrica
- Michal Semian, Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague
- Pavel Štěpán, Institute of the Czech Language, Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague
Local Organizing Committee
- Lenka Krahulcová, Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava (Chair)
- Kristýna Bílková, Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava
- Tereza Klemensová, Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava
if you need further information, please contact Lenka Krahulcová. Please include your surname and the abbreviation OOME in the subject line of your e-mail.
Guidelines for Presentations and Registration
The conference language is English. The authors are responsible for the content and language of their papers. Presentations of papers should not exceed 20 minutes; PowerPoint presentations are required. The deadline for submission of abstracts is December 17, 2017. You will be notified about the acceptance of your paper no later than January 17, 2018. All participants whose presentations are accepted must pay the early-bird fee (the payment must be received no later than February 28, 2018) in order to be included in the conference programme. We plan to publish a book containing papers that are accepted for the conference. The deadline for submitting the final versions of your texts is June 30, 2018; the guidelines for authors are available here.
|Early-bird fee (before March 1, 2018)||1700 CZK (70 EUR)|
|Student early-bird fee (before March 1, 2018)||1200 CZK (50 EUR)|
|Regular fee (March 1, 2018 – April 10, 2018)||2500 CZK (100 EUR)|
The payment is ONLY accepted in CZK or in EUR (updated February 8, 2018).
The payment includes participation in the conference, the publication of the book, conference services, light refreshments during coffee breaks and social events, and a tour of the Dolní Vítkovice open-air technical museum. To pay the registration fee, please send the exact sum by bank transfer to:
|Account owner:||Ostravská univerzita, Dvořákova 7, 701 03 Ostrava, Czech Republic|
|Tax Identification number:||CZ61988987|
|Bank:||Česká národní banka Ostrava, Nádražní 1078/4, 702 00 Ostrava, Czech Republic|
Please include your surname and the abbreviation OOME in the description of your payment; this will enable us to match the payment with your registration. The payment is ONLY accepted in CZK or in EUR (updated February 8, 2018). Please ensure all bank transfer fees are covered by the payer.
|Important dates and deadlines|
|Submission of abstracts||December 17, 2017|
|Acceptance of papers||January 17, 2018|
|Early-bird payment||February 28, 2018|
|Regular fee payment||April 10, 2018|
|Conference dates||April 23–24, 2018|
|Submission of final versions of texts for the book||June 30, 2018|
How to get there
There are four options how to reach the conference venue:
1) From the train station Ostrava hlavní nádraží by public transport: Exit the train station. Take any tram and go to the Stodolní tram stop.
2) From the bus station Ostrava ÚAN by public transport: Exit the bus station. Take the trams 1, 2, 8 (direction Hlavní nádraží) or the tram 11 (direction Hlučínská) to the Stodolní stop.
3) From the Leoš Janáček Ostrava Airport by public transport: Take the train (direction Ostrava hlavní nádraží/Bohumín) to the station Ostrava hlavní nádraží. From there, take any tram and go to the Stodolní tram stop.
4) From the Václav Havel Airport Prague by public transport: Take the bus line 119 (direction Nádraží Veleslavín) to the underground station Nádraží Veleslavín. From there, take the underground Line A (green; direction Depo Hostivař). At the station Muzeum, change for the Line C (red; direction Letňany) and go to the station Hlavní nádraží. Exit the underground station and take the train (direction Ostrava hlavní nádraží/Bohumín) to the station Ostrava hlavní nádraží. From there, take any tram and go to the Stodolní tram stop.
Here, you can see the Czech public transport system.
The organizers provide small refreshments during the coffee breaks, and light snacks during the social events. However, lunches and dinners are not included in the conference fee, and every participant has to manage these for her/himself at her/his own expenses. There are plenty of bistros and restaurants in the vicinity of the venue that offer snacks, hot meals and lunch menus; we can recommend you the following ones:
- U Rady Poštovní 16
- Radegastovna Masarykovo náměstí (Square) 13
- Astoria Masarykovo náměstí (Square) 8
- Pod Muzeem Masarykovo náměstí (Square) 1
- Pizzeria Opatija Zámecká 13
- U Kocoura Umělecká 1
- Garáge centrum restaurant Zahradní 4
- Jack’s Burger Bar Československých legií 20
- Bistro Boule za ušima Tyršova 31
- La Petite Conversation Chelčického 8
- Rybárna na rynku Jiráskovo náměstí 3
The organizers do not provide accommodation service. However, we can recommend you the following hotels:
- Mercure Hotel Českobratrská 18
- Hotel Maria Přívozská 23
- Hotel Imperial Tyršova 6
- Hotel Palác Elektra Umělecká 305/1
- Hotel Brioni Stodolní 8
- Penzion Ve Dvoře Nádražní 19A
- Kampus Palace Smetanovo náměstí (Square) 10
- Hotel Park Inn by Radisson Hornopolní 3313/42 (5 minutes by trolleybus 102 or by bus 37 to the city centre)
- Hotel Nikolas Nádražní 124 (5 minutes by tram lines 1, 2, 8 to the city centre)
- Hotel Veronika Mírové náměstí 3, Ostrava-Vítkovice (10 minutes by tram line 2 to the city centre)
- Harmony Club Hotel 28. října 170, Ostrava-Mariánské Hory (10 minutes by tram line 8 to the city centre)
- Hotel Puls Ruská 135, Ostrava-Zábřeh (15 minutes by tram line 2 to the city centre)
- Hotel VP1 Ruská 2946, Ostrava-Vítkovice (7 minutes by tram line 2 to the city centre)